Sunday, September 25, 2011

Not my mother's pears


There is no doubt that my mother cultivated my love for food. When I was growing up, cooking from scratch in our home was just the way meals were prepared. My mother abhorred the idea of fast food, spaghetti Os, and instant mashed potatoes.
However, other than summertime when fruit was over flowing in our house, we regrettably did partake in canned pears. Yuk! I have no idea what canned fruit serves as a purpose.
Thankfully fall is the time of year when fresh pears are here. I love the simplicity and deliciousness of this recipe. It combines just a few superior ingredients for an amazing end result.
So if you grew up as I did, this is your lesson for taking advantage of fruit. While pears are amazing to just pick up and eat, there is a whole world out there of what to do with fresh fruit. Enjoy, and never pick up a can of fruit again!


4 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 Bosc pears, halved lengthwise and cored
5 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 pound fresh goat cheese
1/3 cup honey
Freshly ground black pepper

1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2.Put butter in a 9x13 baking dish and melt in oven for 2 minutes.
3.Arrange pears cut side down, single layered. Roast for 30 minutes.
4.Pour vinegar over pears and roast for 7 minutes more.
5.Transfer pears to serving dish, cut side up. Spoon juices over pears from baking dish. Arrange cheese on and around pears.
6.Drizzle pears and cheese with honey. Grind fresh black pepper over the top of pears and cheese.
7.Note: I used crumbled goat cheese. If using pieces of goat cheese, arrange over the pears. You may cut 8 pieces prior to assembly

No comments:

Post a Comment