Sunday, January 2, 2011

Happy New Year


The New Year is here and I generally ease into it, but this year I rang it in! Our family had a great time with my husband's cousin's family. We had a wonderful dinner, played a ton of games and had a great time yelling " Happy New Year." Everyone except my 3 year old daughter who held on until 11:15.


Growing up our family tradition on New Year's Day was to eat black eyed peas for good luck. (My mom grew up in the South.) This is one of those traditions, or superstitions that I feel anxious about every year. If I don't make these, could all hell break loose? What are the rules for children? Could I really be tempting their very fate by not serving these peas? Last year I did tempt fate and I didn't serve them. It was the first time ever. For the most part 2010 was good to me. However for some very special people close to me, it was a difficult year. I wish for 2011 to be bright, beautiful and very fulfilling for everyone I love this year.


The end of 2010 was a set up for a interesting and unpredictable 2011. I became certified as a Lifestyle Educator and have plans this coming week to start with my first office. I wonder what I will be writing about this time next year? Do you ever wonder the same thing? I would love to hear your goals for the New Year.


Aside from waiting to see where a new career may lead me, I would also love to read through all the books waiting in line to be the next before I purchase another, train for the Bay Shore Marathon ( 10k for me), and cook with more unusual ingredients. Most importantly, I want to live in the moment of everyday over the next 364 days of 2011. I want this to be the year that great things happen or not, and I enjoy everyday taking things as the come. Because that must be the way it was meant to unfold.


Today's recipe has a pinch of good luck, healthy ingredients and it tastes great! This recipe was adapted from Rock Harper. His appearance on the Today Show inspired me to take his great recipe and make some adaptions.


Good Luck Turkey Tacos


1 pound ground turkey
2 cloves garlic
3 T. olive oil
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
2 Roma tomatoes, chopped coarsely
2 jalapeno peppers, 1 chopped coarsely (use the other for garnish- optional)
1 12oz bag of frozen corn, use fresh if you have available
1 16oz can of black eyed peas, may also use frozen


Slice garlic very thin and heat in olive oil until slightly golden brown. Add the ground turkey and cook until turkey is no longer pink. Add the next 3 ingredients and turn heat down to medium low. Cover and let cook until corn is hot about 7 minutes. Then add black eyed peas and let heat through.

Serve with warm corn tortillas. May also serve with brown rice for a stir fry meal.


**( If using frozen add when adding frozen corn. If using fresh corn, add corn and peas at same time so they can heat through.)


Enjoy, and have the best New Year ever!! You will be off to a great start with this recipe! XO-A

No comments:

Post a Comment