Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Chocolate Toasts


When I came upon this recipe it never crossed my mind it would become an instant favorite. Since I am always on the lookout to try a new recipe, I don't have alot of 'go to' recipes. In fact, this may be the first one. With good reason, chocolate.


Armed with some dark chocolate and Pink Hawaiian Sea Salt ( new ingredient for me), I adapted a recipe from Amanda Hesser's book, 'Cooking for Mr Latte'. The recipe called for fleur de sel to finish over the chocolate. This is an expensive salt because it is hand harvested. The Hawaiian pink salt that I used is sea salt and alaea, which is baked Hawaiian red clay. This gives the salt a beautiful pink hue.


The salt actually brings out the flavor in chocolate, so when making these, add the salt to one; taste, and continue with the other toasts. The flavor should not be salty, just enlivened. As an added twist, I sprinkle cayenne pepper over each toast. This is optional, it just adds a bit of a kick with the richness of the chocolate, rounded out with the salt. Um mm, good! Serve these adorable little toasts as an appetizer or as a delicate dessert. As an appetizer, just put out with other choices, and I bet you will see this one fly off the table.
INGREDIENTS:
1 loaf of french bread - slice thinly
1 bar of dark chocolate ( I used 1 Ghirardelli dark chocolate bar- break in pieces)
Hawaiian Pink Salt or Sea Salt ( http://www.marxfoods.com/ for the speciality salt)
Cayenne pepper- a dash per toast
Extra Virgin Olive Oil



Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Slice one loaf of french bread on the thin side. Place bread slices on a baking sheet. Use one small, bite sized piece of chocolate per slice of bread ( I used Ghirardelli dark chocolate- any fine dark chocolate will do.) Bake until chocolate is soft but still holding its shape. Move to a serving platter. Sprinkle each slice of bread with extra virgin olive oil , Hawaiian pink salt and a dash of cayenne pepper. Serve


1 comment:

  1. Very nice appetizer idea and today that is what I am after for tomorrows big game. The ladies I think will appreciate more than the guys. What lady doesn't want some chocolate to go along with watching football.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete