Monday, October 18, 2010

Meat Free Mondays'


I watched the movie, 'Food, Inc' over the weekend. If you haven't tuned in to see this yet, you should. This movie was intense, at times horrifying, yet in the end a valuable education about food in America. While I am not a vegetarian, nor am I against consuming meat, finding ' unfactorized' meat is important to me.
Many people including my dad for example, remember their grandmother's chasing down dinner in the back yard, and finding that dinner running without a head moments later. The chicken of yesterday is not what it is today. Think free range baby. This brought about much inspiration to me, and every Monday on my site I will feature a meat free recipe.
This recipe has few ingredients, but don't let the simplicity of ingredients and steps fool you. This is nothing short of elegant.
I adapted this recipe from Nigella Lawson, from her book, Forever Summer(Hyperion). Summer is hardly the only season to enjoy this tasty recipe.

Serves 4
INGREDIENTS:
1 clove garlic- minced
1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 large red chile pepper- chopped ( remove seeds for less heat)
2 6oz. cans of lump style crab meat
1/4 cup olive oil plus 2 tablespoons
Juice and lemon zest from one lemon
1 package (16 oz) of thin spaghetti
1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley
1/2 cup fresh chopped kale

Prepare pasta according to package directions. In a bowl, mix together garlic and salt. Add chile and crush til mixture is slightly red. Add crabmeat. In a saute pan, add all these ingredients over medium heat with 2 tablespoons oil. Add kale, cover pan until kale wilts- about 3 minutes. Add pasta and crab mixture together, mix in oil, lemon juice and zest. Toss all ingredients together well. Top with chopped parsley. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment